When it comes to adding content to your site, you have basically 4 options (well, actually 5, you could also copy/steal content, but that is probably going to take you nowhere):
- Write your own content
- Hire a writer
- Use a content creation service
- Have guest blogging
Let’s have a look at the options
1. Write your own content
If you are on a budget, this is the way to go. Start writing the content yourself and at the same time learn the process along the way.
- If you are a reasonably good writer, you will have high quality content
- No need to manage anyone
- Save money
- You are constrained by time (and this is a biggie)
2. Hire a writer
If you have some money to spend, you can also hire someone to write content for you.
Ideally, you want to find a native speaker, but those are usually more expensive, so if you are on a budget you can try to find someone with good language skills.
As usually with outsourcing, you’ll have to test 10 people to get 1 or 2 who are good (and sometimes you can’t even find a good writer out of 10).
These are some recommendations from my own experience:
- Send people a test job. Ask them to write a couple of articles with different styles/lengths
- Ask for samples (those can be faked though)
- They way they communicate can give you feedback
- Very escalable
- It will take you some time until you find a good writer
- Money investment
- Sometimes people disapper without a trace, so you need to start over again
Here are some places where you can find writers
3. Use a content creation service
Instead of hiring a single person, some pages have a buffer of writers that you can use.
It’s not as personal as having a dedicated person, but on the other hand if you have just one writer and he/she gets ill, or goes missing, your progress gets halted, whereas if you use a service like this you always have someone ready for the job.
- Plenty of people ready to work
- Usually more expensive than having a full (or part) time writer
- Less personal communication
- You can get a mixed quality depending on the particular writer
Some of these companies are:
4. Guest blogging
In case you never head the term, guest blogging is when somebody will write a unique article for your site, and instead of money, they will request a backlink to their site. It’s a way for them to get some extra traffic (and backlinks).
This can be a great strategy since you are basically getting content for free, but you will need a established blog before you can ask people to write for you for free.
- You need to have a certain amount of traffic before you can request a guest blogger to write on your site
There are 2 ways you can find guest bloggers
a. People will approach you and ask to write a guest post
b. You proactively find someone for it